Meet Etsy Seller Fun Little Things

Posted Wednesday, January 01, 2014



Today we would like to introduce you to
Etsy shop funlittlethings

funlittlethings has been selling on Etsy since August 2011, she sell handmade baby bibs, onesies and other cute items for kids! Today she is sharing a little about her shop and selling handmade items.

Baby Blanket - Pink Polka Dots and Flowers - funlittlethings Love - Christmas Onesie, Hand Embroidered - funlittlethings Little Chef Apron - Spatulas, Spoons and Whisks - funlittlethings Turquoise Echino Birds and Berries Linen Clutch - funlittlethings

What motivated you to start your shop?
I started my shop as a fun, on the side, creative outlet while teaching kindergarten full time. I also hoped making a little money would help support my fabric buying habit! Bit by bit I got more and more excited by what I was making and what was going on in my shop. When I was laid off due to the state budget in 2011, when I happened to be 6 months pregnant, I knew it was the perfect opportunity to really put all of my efforts into making my Etsy shop a real business.

What is the story behind your shop name?
The up until now secret story behind my shop name (that so far only my husband and my mom know) is that I don't really like my shop name. Not really thinking that my shop would be a full time job/ real business, I was in kind of a rush to set up my shop, and thinking up names as I filled out the online forms. I wanted Pretty Little Things, but that was taken, so Fun Little Things seemed like the next best option. I do like that it gives me the freedom to make more than just items for babies (although that is obviously my primary focus.) I can make anything I get excited about creating and it will fit with the name of the shop. And now that I have a professionally graphic designed logo that is on woven, sew-in tags, business cards, mailing labels and stickers, and a Fun Little Things blog, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram I have definitely missed the boat on changing it!

What surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
I have definitely been the most surprised by the amazing online crafting community. I love getting glimpses into the lives, creations and creative processes of other Etsy sellers, bloggers, quilters, fabric shop owners and all sorts of other amazing women and men creating real community and sharing their passions online.
 
What is your favourite creations from your shop?

My favorite creation is always my newest creation! I love the excitement I get while planning a new project. Sometimes I am inspired by beautiful new fabrics, sometimes by a need I see in the little people I love, but whatever it is, I love really using my brain to work out the details, do some math and some drawing and then getting out the scissors and getting to work. Right now, my newest creation is my fledgling clothing line! Dresses, rompers and bloomers all sewn with incredible Nani Iro Double Gauze and Liberty of London Tana Lawn fabrics.
I am also pretty excited about everything in my Holiday shop section right now, Christmas bibs and onesies, and hand-stitched felt ornaments!

What do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
For me, the most challenging part of being an Etsy seller (and creative small business owner) is promoting my own work. I love all of the items I am creating. I love giving them as gifts at such exciting times in the lives of those I love. I love writing about them on my blog, because I am genuinely stoked on my creative process and the beautiful materials I use. But because there are just so many Etsy sellers, a big part of having a successful shop is finding a way to make sure my items are getting seen. This means reaching out to more successful bloggers and shop owners. I have no problem talking to even the most remote strangers (I am a total social butterfly) but for me to say, hey, look at these bibs, or these amazing baby dresses I designed and sewed with gorgeous materials, is so unnatural and uncomfortable! Luckily for me, I joined this great team, and we can help promote each other!

What's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
My personal philosophy when it comes to my shop and my creations is that it is all about love! Every item in my shop was originally made to share love with people in my life and bring a smile to their faces. Whether it is having a new baby, getting married, moving into a new house or celebrating a birthday or other holiday, exciting times in life call for something special and personal and I love being able to create something new thinking about that person and their exciting times. Those new items become items for sale in my shop and I then get to spread that love and those smiles with strangers around the country - such an incredibly rewarding experience!

What do you do when you aren't working?
My number one job is being a stay at home mom to my ten month old little girl! We spend our days cuddling kittens, reading books, making messes, walking the dog, making friends at the swings or the library or music class and growing teeth (ok, maybe that one is more her than me). We also like hiking, going to the beach and cooking and eating yummy food with Dad when he is home from work, and I try to get myself to yoga as much as possible! All of the sewing and blogging and shop work happens during naps or after bedtime. I have gotten really good at getting right to work whenever I have a chance!

What makes the coming holiday season special for you?
My daughter's first Christmas! I can't wait to see the look in her eyes and hear her cooing at all the holiday lights and decorations and to feed her all the amazing food my family cooks every year. For the last few years I have been making as many presents as possible for those I love and this year, with my little girl to make for, all my planning and sewing and creating will be extra special.

funlittlethings is offering a 10% discount in her shop. To use the coupon visit her etsy store and enter code "NEWYEAR10" at checkout. Valid on January 1st 2014.

Tula Pink Salt Water Octopus Bib - Side Snap - funlittlethings Pirate Onesie - Eye Patch - funlittlethings Liberty of London Baby Dress - Edenham Coral Aqua - funlittlethings Elephant Bib - Ed Emberley "How to Draw" - funlittlethings

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...