Meet Etsy Seller Msliesenfelder - Retro Family Works

Posted Wednesday, September 18, 2013



Today we would like to introduce you to
Etsy shop Msliesenfelder

Msliesenfelder has been selling on Etsy since 2007, she makes childrens clothing using retro style fabrics and vintage sewing patterns. Today she is sharing a little about her shop and selling handmade items.

Girls Dress in Sizes 1 through 6 Featuring On Parade Fabric by Sarah Jane - msliesenfelder MADE TO ORDER Retro Pinafore for Toddler Size 6 Mo to 3T - msliesenfelder 1970s Style Girls Jumper Dress Made to Order Sizes 3 4 5 and 6 Ships for Free - msliesenfelder Girls Size 6 or 7 Wraparound Skirt from 1970s Pattern Ready to Ship - msliesenfelder

What motivated you to start your shop?
I have been sewing since I was 8 years old. This is when my mother taught my sister and I how to sew and we began making our own school clothes. Since I have had 4 children, my interest in sewing children's clothing came naturally. One day, I was shopping online and bought a couple of vintage children's patterns. Then I sewed my youngest daughter a dress from one of the patterns and the rest was history. I have amassed an embarressingly large collection of over 500 sewing patterns (Mostly over 30 years old and for kids) and I add to it throughout the year. So, armed with these historical patterns and a love of designing and sewing kids clothes, I opened my etsy shop in 2007.

What is the story behind your shop name?
My official shop name is msliesenfelder but my shop title is Retro Family Works. I took a class in college called "Arthurian Romance" and the text book was a book called "Mallory Works" which meant the collected works of Mallory, who wrote accounts of the Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. So, since I wanted to sew clothes for families that were made from retro patterns, it seemed like a suitable (and cool sounding) name for my shop.

What surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
The joy that I found when I could make my clients happy using my sewing and design skills was the big surprise for me. I find that I get a kick out of reading the positive messages from my clients when an outfit has tickled them or their child.

What is your favourite creations from your shop?
I would say that one of my favorite items to create is my reversible toddlers' scalloped pinafore. It is adorable on and I am challenged to find new, fresh fabric combinations to sew it in since it has contrasting fabrics on each side of the garment. Also, the scallops are a couture touch that I love to add.

What do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
Definitely my biggest challenge is finding enough time to sew and keep adding new items to my shop. I also have a full time job outside of my etsy endeavors and it takes up way too much of my time that I would love to be spending creatively!

What's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
My philosophy is to have fun and to always be developing new retro fashions to add to my shop as well as to also offer long-time customer favorites that are tried and true. I like to work with customers to create one of a kind garments perfect for their child.

How would someone (other then you) describe you?
I think others would describe me as amusing, detail oriented, and a person who loves words, spelling and grammer. Okay, they might also call me wacky.

What do you do when you aren't working?
When I'm not sewing, I love to go on nature walks with other families, travel all over the world and shop for new patterns and fabric!

Anything else you'd like to tell us or share?I would love to open another shop someday that would be called "The Best of Etsy" and would feature garments sewn from patterns created by other Etsy Shop owners. I would love to promote some of the great patterns being produced here!

Msliesenfelder is offering 20% discount to all our blog readers. To use the coupon visit her etsy store and enter code "ETSYBLOG20" at checkout. Valid on orders over $15 and until October 31st 2013.
Toddler Girls Peasant Dress Made to Order in Size 6 mos to 3T - msliesenfelder Summer Vacation Skirt with Tie Belt in Pink and Blue.  Ready to Ship in Girls Size 6 or 7 - msliesenfelder Late Summer or Fall Girls Size 1 Sweet Little Dress Ready to Ship - msliesenfelder Toddler Girls Size 3T Summer Vacation Dress with Lace Trim - msliesenfelder

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...