Introducing Peace Baby! Batiks

Posted Thursday, August 02, 2012

Today We Introduce You To Cori from Peace Baby! Batiks

Q: what motivated you to start your shop?
It's pretty selfish, really: I want to be able to continue staying home after my son starts school so I am flexible for school vacations, sick days, volunteer needs, etc. I started Peace, Baby! just before he turned two with the hope that it would keep growing throughout the years. I was originally going to make and sell batik wrap-around skirts, but I can't really sew, so that idea fizzled pretty quickly. Then I made a few batik bodysuits for my son, and the idea of opening a shop on Etsy resurfaced.

Q: what is the story behind your shop name?
I wish I had a good story! It just kind of came to me, probably in the shower, which is where all my good ideas originate. I had bounced around several ideas that just didn't do it for me. Once I thought of Peace, Baby! Batiks, I was sold.

Q: do you have a favorite Etsy Shop (non-child related)?
I am a sucker for jewelry, so I love http://www.etsy.com/shop/RockefellerCrystal. She's also kind of local to me, so it's cool to buy from an Etsy seller in my area.

Q: what surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
I never knew I would meet so many great people, both online and offline. We've become great resources for each other and built a support system. I've especially enjoyed meeting other Etsy mothers and networking with artists and crafters here in the Washington, DC, area.

Q: what do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
Finding the time to market my shop and do general shop upkeep. It takes more time than you'd think, and I don't always have the time to devote to the computer. I get up early to try and do most of my batik and computer work before my son gets up.

Q: what's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
To create fun clothing. I love hearing that one of my T-shirts or dresses has become a child's favorite item of clothing.

Q: how would someone (other than you) describe you?
I hope they would describe me as loving, hard-working, loyal, and fun. :)

Q: what music do you have on while you are creating?
I usually have NPR or the local morning news on when I work early in the morning. If I listen to music while I work, it's a strange combination of modern folk music, oldies, stuff from the 90s, and current pop music.

Q: what do you do when you aren't working?
My favorite things to do are play with my son (he's 4), scrapbook, read, watch baseball, and cook.

Q: anything else you'd like to tell us or share?
I love custom orders and enjoy a unique challenge from a customer. I’m up for trying just about anything! I also do clothing for adults and youth, too, and I just started using American-made T-shirts when I batik and dye. I’m enjoying learning and interacting with the other members of the EtsyKids Team – there is so much talent here!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...