Introducing SilvaWare!

Posted Thursday, November 10, 2011


Today we introduce you to Walter from Silva Ware
  • what motivated you to start your shop?
I use to work (a decade ago) for a handmade children's decor company. Did all the New York gift shows and such... While doing all this stuff for my employer, I came to a realization that there is a market for "EVERYTHING" and "ANYONE"! So, I decided to use my illustration and Furniture Design background to start my own brand.
  • what is the story behind your shop name?
Years ago, I use to go by the name "Walter Silva Gift ware." A group of illustrators that I get together with suggested "Silva Ware" though technically on Etsy my shop name is WalterSilva But my company outside of Etsy is Silva Ware.
  • do you have a favorite Etsy Shop (non-child related)?
I have a bunch of Favorites, here are two: I love Jenny Mendes work and shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/jennymendes She has a very unique voice that is original and FUN! Love her illustrations and sculptures! I am also a big fan of Suzanna Scott aka Sushipot: http://www.etsy.com/shop/sushipot Suzanna's collages are a result of bits of Ephemera, composed, "stitched" and then mounted on wood blocks and or vintage book covers. I have a few of her Art Blocks in my studio.
  • what surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
There are a few things that surprised me, like the impact you can make on people around the world. Friendships with other Artists via Etsy. Why 70% of my customers are from California and 15% International?...
  • what do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
Photography is my biggest challenge! I took a lot of photos classes in Art school too. I have worked very hard at this and it is just so time consuming. Thank GOD for Photoshop and my Photo tent!
  • what's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
Hand made gifts for all!
  • how would someone (other then you) describe you?
Ambitious, Bold, a "go" getter and Passionate!
  • what music do you have on while you are creating?
Lately, I only listen to National Public Radio and Pod casts. But, I love Brazilian Jazz, French and some Italian Jazz Cabaret! I love World music.
  • what do you do when you aren't working?
I love hunting / shopping for treasures, like vintage toys, games and books.
But, if the weather is nice, I love taking long walks at the park or on the beach.
  • anything else you'd like to tell us or share?
I contribute some design "ideas" and "tutorials" to the following blogs
Thanks for your time and wish all much success with there shops!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...