Fall Recipe: Butternut Squash Soup

Posted Monday, November 07, 2011

I’ve been waiting for fall since at least July, so when I found butternut squash in our farm share bag last week, I knew we were almost there. I planned one of my favorite soups for the first day of fall.

I’ll tell you right now – I don’t peel and chop winter squashes anymore. I have zero interest in fighting with the tough skins, and I’ve cut myself with the knife more than once. Instead, I bake them. Slice the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and bake skin up on a greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees. This can take 30-60 minutes (or more) depending on the type and size of the squash. But, it is way less frustrating than peeling it. It just means you need to plan ahead a little.



Let the squash cool, and from there you can easily scoop the squash out of its shell with a spoon. On thicker-shelled squash, you can sometimes just lift the shell off of the squash. I did that once with a pumpkin, and it was so cool.

Taking care of the squash is the hardest part of this butternut squash soup recipe, which I got from the side of a Silk carton a couple of years ago. It’s ridiculously easy and just about the only soup my nearly four-year-old son will eat.



Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

3c chunked butternut squash
3c vegetable stock
1 clove of garlic, halved
1c soymilk
Pinch of ground ginger
Salt and pepper to taste

Simmer the squash and garlic in the stock for 10 minutes. Puree in a blender, food processor, or with a hand blender, and return to the pan. Add milk and ginger. Reheat, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Bon appetit!
-Cori of Peace, Baby! Batiks

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...