Homemade Strawberry Applesauce

Posted Sunday, June 12, 2011

Strawberry season just ended here in MD, and the little patch in our garden produced up a storm! I hope you don’t think I’m bragging when I tell you I have enough berries in my freezer for three batches of jam. :) Yum!

My son has decided he doesn’t like strawberries this spring, so we’re not eating as many right off the plants as we have in the past. We’ve made smoothies (which he will drink, oddly enough), and a couple of weeks ago, I got the idea to mix them into applesauce. After some initial skepticism – “Why is this applesauce purple?” – my son gobbled it up. The adults in the house love it, too. It’s so easy that I don’t know why I ever buy applesauce!

Strawberry Applesauce

4c apples, peeled, seeded and sliced (I had galas in the house, but whatever you like will work.)
1 ½ to 2c strawberries, hulled (frozen OK!)

Place fruit in a saucepan with a couple of tablespoons of water to keep it from sticking. Let it cook over medium heat until the apples soften and the berries start to break apart. On medium, this took about 15 minutes.

Use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree the fruit. I like my applesauce a little chunky, so I don’t blend it for long.

Alternately, you can leave the peels and seeds on the apples, slice and cook them and then put the whole concoction through a food mill.

Let cool and enjoy! Great warm or chilly.

Cheers! -Cori of Peace, Baby! Batiks

1 comment:

Jes - oh, buckets said...

thank you for this easy and healthy recipe! can't wait to try it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...